For over a year, I’ve endured a development machine that would lock up under heavy disk I/O. Yesterday, I apparently complained loudly enough that I was given a new machine to replace it. I didn’t want to reinstall Fedora 9, so I transferred my old hard drive to the new machine, as the primary drive. To get it to boot and function properly, here’s what I did:
* Booted with the Fedora 9 install CD into “rescue mode”
* Ran the following commands once I had a shell:
mount –bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
mount –bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys
mv /boot/initrd-2.6.25…i686.img /boot/initrd-2.6.25…i686.img.orig
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25…i686.img 2.6.25…i686
* Then I ran ‘grub’, and typed the following:
* Ejected the install CD, and rebooted. Once booted, I noticed that my network cards weren’t set up quite right. My new network card was listed as “eth2” in system-config-network, and I didn’t actually have cards for the listed “eth0” and “eth1” interfaces anymore. I didn’t know what file to change to get my new card listed as “eth0”, so I ran the following command to find out what files I might need to edit:
find /etc -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep “eth”
That command listed the following files, among others:
I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and ripped out the assignments for my old NIC interfaces, and set the new one to be “eth0”, then rebooted and used `system-config-network` to set up my network.
When I ran my VMware guest, VMware Server gave me an error message about not being able to use bridged mode for the selected interface. With my old computer, VMware had used eth1 for bridged networking, and I didn’t have an “eth1” interface anymore. I edited /etc/vmware/locations and changed “eth1” to “eth0”, and restarted vmware. This time, bridged mode worked correctly.